A lot was accomplished during July of 2016. After Tori & I got the axles back on the car, I added in the transmission, which I have yet to open or otherwise mess with, other than exterior cleaning.
Then I reconnected the drive shaft & universal joint to the back of the transmission. Unbeknownst to us at the time — the entire drive shaft assembly including the differential case had been seriously messed with at some point and was put into the car UPSIDE DOWN.
My Dad, Vince, came down from Fresno to help re-install the engine on July 27, 2016.
Later in the day, I removed the oil pan to inspect the crank shaft, rod caps and anything else that might look amiss or wrong.
Nothing seemed obviously wrong or loose. Just inside the oil pan was an interior splash pan which was part of the same oil pan casting (aluminum) positioned so that the crank throws would splash through oil as the engine rotated, with the oil pump pick-up line in the sump below.
With the engine in, it was time to re-install the leather cone clutch and front universal joint.
By July 31, 2016, I had also attached the water jacket cover, water pump, spark plug & acetylene injector plugs, exhaust manifold & exhaust pipe and temporarily attache the steering column & steering wheel.
It’s starting to look like a car again.